Yes, this dinner sounds healthy because it says “salad” in it. However… I highly doubt it is except when comparing it to, say, Fried Chicken. 🙂 Anyway, this is a favorite in our house (READ: I make this when I don’t want to be anything but lazy when preparing our menu.)
I didn’t take progressive pictures of me making this because… well… Do you remember me saying that I’m lazy? Ok, well, now that we have that settled, this is what I pile in this mass of goodness.
Southwestern Chicken Salad
A couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Pepper (to taste)
Chipotle Chili Pepper Seasoning (to taste)
Ground Mustard (to taste)
Cumin (to taste)
Coriander (to taste)
Blue corn chips
Shredded cheddar cheese
Black beans (drained and rinsed)
Whole kernel corn (cooked)
Brown rice (cooked per the package)
Dressing of choice (I prefer Southwestern Ranch or just regular Ranch)
1. Cut chicken breasts into thin slices.
2. Pour EVOO into skillet and allow it to warm.
3. Dump chicken into the EVOO and saute until almost done (not pink).
4. Season the chicken with Pepper, Chipotle Chili Pepper, Ground Mustard, Cumin, and Coriander. You could do this before putting the chicken into the skillet but I prefer to wait until it is almost done cooking.
5. Chop all your vegetables.
6. Assemble your salad. I usually go in the following order: Chips, lettuce, rice, beans, chicken, tomatoes, cheese and then top with dressing. But, I’m OCD like that.
Seriously, yummy. No, I don’t claim to be original. Every restaurant chain in the country has a salad like this but this is my version. Enjoy!